Back

History

Drawing from Interpretive panel by Lake Sylvia Dam

Michael F. Luark homesteaded at Lake Sylvia in the late 1860's. Luark built Grays Harbor's first water powered saw mill in 1871.

A dam was built on Sylvia Creek in the early 1900's to provide hydro-electric power and water for the city of Montesano.

The Silas Wilder family (husband, wife and 14 children) lived in a room above the generator for years and wife Elsie Wilder was the only woman to operate a power plant in the United States at the turn of the century. The powerhouse was dismantled in the early 1930's and the land around Lake Sylvia was dedicated to Washington State parks in 1936.

NWPlaces2c